The prompt answer is yes, Can cats eat watermelon. The fruit is non-toxic for cats and its fine for them to eat occasionally as a small treat. However it is not a basic part of their diet, hence we would not advise to feed them watermelon too regularly and just offer them one or two bite sized pieces. It is very important to feed only watermelon flesh to your cat, making sure all the seeds are removed, as seeds contain cyanide which is toxic to cats.
Is Watermelon Safe For Cats?
- Watermelons are safe for cats if its consumed without seeds and rind peeled off. Seeds contain compounds (cyanide) that are toxic to cats. If an animal consumes seeds it leads to vomiting and diarrhea.
- As the cats are smaller animals the effect will be much intense. As seeds are not digested they are of no use.
- “Can cats eat watermelon seeds” The cat may choke while trying to chew the seeds along with the pulp. So it is better to give smaller pieces of fruit without seeds.
- Rind portion of watermelon is indigestible for cats. Though occasional consumption in fruit will not be too dangerous, its advised to give the fruit by peeling off the rind.
How To Feed Your Cat Watermelon?
You might want to throw big chunks of watermelon pieces with rind to feed your cat but it is advisable to give small bites by removing seeds and rind to your kitty. Big chunks of melon are potential choking hazard.
The Benefits Of Eating Watermelon
- Watermelon has 90% water. Many cats prefer to eat water to be consumed in the form of very succulent foods such as watermelon. It helps to maintain the water balance in the body.
- Watermelons are rick sources of fiber. A cup of raw watermelon has about 46 calories with absolutely no cholesterol. It is bundled with many vitamins such as Vitamins C, Vitamin A, Vitamin B1 and Vitamin B6.
- It also contains nutrients, Biotin, Magnesium, Potassium and plenty of healthy antioxidants.
Is Watermelon Dangerous For Cats?
- As per The Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery, a reading above 189 milligrams per deciliter is considered an alarm.
- Besides the issues of weight gain, there are other concerns. The fructose found in watermelon can impact the dental Cat health. As a cat grows older, cleaning its teeth under supervised anesthesia becomes very risky.
- You may need to consider the effect of consuming especially the rind part of the fruit. The rind can be tough. This makes it a choking hazard for cats.
- If a cat swallows a chunk of watermelon rind , this may lead to an intestinal blockage.
- If your cat is consuming watermelon for the first time you may want to keep an eye on her after feeding. You want to make sure your feline companions are not allergic.
- Vomiting, indigestion, diarrhea or constipation are all common symptoms of bad reaction to your cat’s intake. If your cat has bad reaction to it, she might be allergic and you should feed her any.
Can Cats Drink Watermelon Juice?
Yes, it is safe for cats to drink watermelon juice on occasional times. The fruit is non-toxic for cats and they can be fed in smaller treats.
Can Cats Eat Watermelon Rind?
It is not advisable to give rind of watermelon to cats as it is exposed to pesticides during growing process. Even though we wash watermelon surface thoroughly, we can’t get everything off.
Read Also: How Often Do You Take a Cat to the Vet
It is very important to feed only watermelon flesh to your cat, making sure all the seeds are removed, as seeds contain cyanide which is toxic to cats. (Not that if it is swallowed, it sprouts and grows into a plant) The prompt answer is yes, cats can eat watermelon. The fruit is non-toxic for cats and its fine for them to eat occasionally as a small treat.