Today we will learn about the most eye-catching breed of dog, the Afghan Hound. This creature is very famous for its long and silky hair. This majestic breed is one of the world’s oldest breeds and comes from Afghanistan. This sensitive animal has a very low tolerance toward pain so they can not handle harsh owner who does not treat them well. So, If you are fond of this breed then this article will help you understand them.
Characteristic of Afghan Hound
|Scientific Name||Canis lupus familiaris|
|Origin||Afghanistan, Pakistan, and northern Indian|
|Colors||Black, Cream, and Red|
|Height||50 and 60 pounds on average|
|Weight||Male:(26–34 kg), Female:(26–34 kg)|
|Life expectancy||12 – 14 years|
|Temperament||Dignified, Aloof, Independent, Clownish, Happy|
|Running Speed||40 miles per hour|
|Bite force||743 PSI|
|Sleep Hours||30 minutes to as long as 2 hours|
A Brief Insight About The Afghan Hound
- The King of Sight Hounds is another name for an Afghan Hound.
- It comes from Afghanistan. The original name for the breed was Tazi.
- It was said that this breed was thought to date back to the pre-Christian era. Zeppo Marx first brought the Afghan to America.
- It was formerly thought to have originated in Egypt thousands of years ago; however, no proof for this theory exists. It was brought to Europe by British soldiers returning from the Indian-Afghan border battles in the late 1800s.
- They are ranked 113th out of 189 breeds in the American Kennel Club, with 1 being the most popular and 189 being the least popular.
How Do They Look?
Size And Weight
- The males in the Afghan are 26-28 inches and about 60 pounds.
- However, the females are 24-26 inches and about 50 pounds.
- It comes in many colors: Cream, White, Black and Tan, Brindle, Black, Domino, and Blue.
- They come in any color except spotted.
How Do They Behave?
- They are sensitive and lively animals who do not respond well to harsh handling, so be kind to them.
- Also, they have a very low tolerance for pain.
- You know very well that this breed is friendly. So, if they get the chance to socialize with kids from the time they are puppies they can be good with them.
- Unless your pet has grown up with other family dogs, they should be the only family pet or surrounded by pets of similar size.
- They are super active. Also, they are independent so training them is very hard. Therefore, Hound is not suggested for novices.
Needs And Care
Your dog needs love and cares from you. Before purchasing Hound, you need to learn about their needs and care. Do you know? This breed needs food on time. Due to their Afghan hound hairstyles, you need to spend more hours grooming them. Here are some tips regarding their care and needs. Read them carefully.
Food & Diet
- Like all dogs, they flourish on a high-quality, protein-rich diet.
- It should have approximately 2 to 2.5 cups of dry food each day, split into two meals, while wet food can be used to supplement & Dog Nutrition in part or altogether.
- They are a high-energy breed that requires at least two hours of daily exercise.
- Off-leash walks are important since they need to be allowed to run around.
- They require a lot of mental stimulation through games and activities in addition to their regular walks.
- Afghan Hounds, despite their intelligence, can be difficult to train due to their rigidity.
- They are extremely sensitive to harsh discipline, which frequently results in rebellion.
- Gentle instruction and firm discipline work best for them.
- The Afghan hound short hair, thick, and silky, with a fine texture.
- The coat does not need to be trimmed or clipped because the dog wears it in its natural state.
- Brush and comb the thick, Short hair afghan hound three times a week to prevent or eliminate knots and tangles, and bathe him as needed.
Pros And Cons
There are many reasons why you wish to buy a Hound. But there are many reasons why you hate them. So, we have mentioned some of their pros and cons, so you can easily read them and think before buying.
|These Dogs are social & loving||They need a lot of space.|
|They are good dogs for families.||They can’t fit into apartment life.|
|Despite having long hair, these dogs need minimal brushing.||They need a lot of time in grooming.|
Afghan hound puppy
The Afghan Hound puppies need the same care that adult need. But, they need more protein in their diet as they are in growing age. Also, break their food into small meals.
- It has six to eight puppies.
- This creature loves its young ones.
Before purchasing an Afghan, you must know that many Afghans need adoption. There are several rescues. Some of them are:
- Afghan Hound Club of Canada
- Afghan Hound Club of America Rescue
To Buy/Adopt Them
The appearance of this breed attracts people to buy it. Even some people adopt them too. You should get them from a show breeder who Dog breeds them to a certain appearance standard for dog shows. Dog rescue organizations sell Afghan Hounds. They are commonly sent to Rescue because they demand so much care or are difficult to train.
Afghan hound price
The majority of pet-quality King of Sight Hounds cost between $600 and $1,000. You can quickly find Afghan Hounds anywhere from $600-$1000. However, if you’re looking for a show dog, pay up to $2,500.
Monthly Expenditure On Afghan Hound
Overall monthly expenditure on food, medical expenses, and grooming is between $960-$2,665. However, you can buy them from $600-$1000.
- It is strong-willed and independent, aloof and self-assured, true to its origins as a hunter bred to think on its own.
- It has been described as extremely brave but maybe timid, flighty but occasionally quiet and lethargic, stately but clownish, and dignified but clownish.
Is an Afghan Hound a Good Family Dog?
Because of their friendly and caring temperament, Afghan Hounds are excellent family dogs. Puppies of the Afghan Hound breed can be socialized with kids of all ages. They are lovely and friendly. They love to play. So, we can say that they can be good family dogs.
Can an Afghan Hound Be Left Alone?
The Afghan Hound is a loyal companion who demands individual attention. So, leaving them for an extended amount of time might not be a good idea as they get violent.
What Is the Purpose of an Afghan Hound?
This dog has been developed for games. They are exceedingly skilled hunter. They are used to playing big and even small games, including antelopes and perhaps even leopards.