If you are a person who is naturally energetic and wants a pet who is both active and charming, the Border Collie is the dog for you. This medium-sized dog is very energetic and faithful to its owners. They also respond to all of their owner’s signals. Aside from that, they have a lot of positive qualities. They do, however, have some bad habits.
|Scientific Name||Canis lupus familiaris|
|Coat||Rough and smooth|
|Personality||Intelligent, keen, responsive, tenacious, energetic, and alert|
|Colors||Black, White, Blue, Blue Merle, Lilac, Brindle, Red|
|Height||Male: 19–22 inches (48–56 cm), Female: 18–21 inches (46–53 cm)|
|Weight||Male: 30–45 lbs (14–20 kg), Female: 27–42 lbs (12–19 kg)|
|Temperament||Intelligent, Keen, Energetic, Responsive, Alert, Loyal|
|Average lifespan||12-15 years.|
|SPEED||30 miles per hour|
|Breed Size||Medium (26-60 lbs.|
|IQ||Extremely Smart Dogs|
|Sleep Hours||18-20 hours a day|
|Bite force||Between 200 and 400 PSI|
A Brief Insight of Collie
- The breed’s origins are contested, however, they may most certainly be traced back to the Romans, who brought their drover dogs with them two thousand years ago, and the Vikings, who invaded this region of England around 1200 years ago and brought their Spitz-type dogs with them.
- The word “collie” comes from a Scotch word that means “sheepdog.”
Border Collie Size And Weight
- Males are 19 to 22 inches tall. And Females are 18 to 21 inches tall.
- Border Collie puppies typically range in weight from 20 to 25 pounds for males and 18 to 22 pounds for females.
Border Collie Weight
- Males weight 35 to 45 pounds & Females weight 30 to 40 pounds
- Collies should weigh more than 20 pounds
- It is also known for being extremely sensitive to its owner’s every signal, whether it’s a whistle, a hand signal, or a raised eyebrow. They are loyal dogs who get along well with children.
- They may act quickly on their own and are strong, vivacious, sensitive, and enthusiastic. With those they know well, they are cordial, yet they avoid strangers.
Does It Adapt To Apartment?
If a Collies has a human friend who gives them mental stimulation and exercise, they could also be able to live in an apartment. Games, puzzle toys, training, and food toys are all effective methods to keep a working dog’s mind active.
Good For Beginners or Not?
Collies are ideal for novice dog owners. Collies are ideal for new owners who are aware of the commitment they will need to make. Some dogs are hard to handle for novice. But, that’s not the case with Collies.
Border Collie Care
If you love your dog you must care for them. If you care them they will grow happily and love your more. But, how to care for your dog?
Food & Diet
- Because they are more expected to be extremely active, a growing Collie would require 1,400 calories per day. Because this breed’s activity and energy levels decline as they get mature, senior collies should take roughly 700 calories each day.
- Raw meat, raw vegetables, raw meaty bones, fish, muscle meats, fish, and dairy products like eggs are all part of a Dog Nutrition.
- Your Border Collies will need at least two hours of exercise per day, but the more the better with Collies.
- Collies, on the other hand, enjoy keeping their minds active.
- Walking and running, outdoor camping, swimming, agility training, and numerous dog games are some of the other forms of exercise they require.
Read Also: Do dogs get tired of barking
They are relatively easy to train and enjoy participating in obedience trials as well as other events like fly ball, agility, and sheep herding. So, here are a few pointers for you:
- House rules should be learned as soon as possible by any dog.
- Because dogs take on fast, it’s a good idea to start teaching your dog beneficial habits while he’s still young.
- Obedience training will be beneficial in preventing behavioral problems and disobedience.
The primary sorts of grooming that should be provided to them regularly are as follows-
- Trimming around the feet and the backs of the legs is minimal.
- Because this breed is prone to shedding, brushing your dog before bathing them is essential. You’ll end up with dog hair all over your bathtub if you don’t!
- Border collies should only be left alone briefly.
- Border collies often fare well in hot, dry and humid conditions. Even these heat-tolerant canines are susceptible to hyperthermia when the outside air temperature exceeds roughly 85°F (30°C).
- Although they can survive outside in cold weather, border collies cannot.
Border Collie Colors
- A brown collie has a long length color coat with white patches over neck and legs. They do shed a lot and require more grooming than other dogs. They are mostly found in Black, Brown, Blue & Red color. Sometimes found in merle, blue, tricolor, etc.
Brown Border Collie
- If you are looking for a handsome dog then Brown Border Collie can be a great find for you.
- Brown colour in border collies is a bit rare and this character makes them unique in the same species. Due to this reason, they are more expensive than other coat border collies.
Blue Merle Border Collie
- A Blue merle is a gorgeous as well as smart dog at the same time. This dog has a bluish color shade giving it a sporty look.
- Their beautiful and attractive eyes are what they are known for.
- Blue merle border collies are a little more expensive than ordinary border collies, they cost around $2500 to $4000.
Red Border Collie
- Red border collies have red, light red or maroon coat colour with some different colour patches.
- They are an ideal dog for families with yards or good outdoor space. They need regular grooming as their shine makes them full of dirt more often.
Border Collie Mix
- Border collie mixes are crossed Dog breeds resulting from mating of collie with any other breed.
- They are likely to inherit qualitied from both the parents. Mostly, Border Collies Mix are crossed with medium sized dogs. It is significant to have a clarity that there can be distinct behaviors in collie mixed breeds. Here are the 7 most popular Border Colllie mixed breeds –
Border Collie Lab Mix
- Often known as Bordor, Border collie lab is a fine find for people searching for a watchdog. This dog is very athletic and muscular with a very reflexive sense.
- Their temperament is aggressive and they a considered to be a protective dog.
- Their weight can be anywhere between 15 to 28 kgs. This medium to large dog is about 20 to 22 inches tall and has an average lifespan of 10 to 14 years.
Border Collie Australian Shepherd Mix
- Australian Shepherd Mix is an active dog with sporty instincts. They are famous for being sincere and obedient dogs. With good mates they are powerful watch dogs too.
- Females have an average height of 18 to 20 inches, while males can go up to 22 inches tall.
- These mixed breed dogs are very polite and peaceful. Common coat lpcolours of Collie & Australian Shepherd mix are white, black, red and brown.
Border Collie Poodle Mix
- Also known as Bordoodles, Border Collie Poodles result from a cross between Border Collie and Poodle. Unlike the other collie mixed breeds, they do not shed much.
- Only large families with plenty of outdoor space should own Bordoodles, as they require exercise to balance their health.
- You are advised to spend time with them because longer separation can interfere with their regularised behaviour. They have an average life of 12 to 15 years.
Border Collie Golden Retriever Mix
- Nickname for Golden Retriever mix is Gollies. They are offspring of Collies and Golden Retrievers. These are extremely strong strong dogs and pretty obsessed with their owners.
- Gollies are excellent social dogs, they happily mingle with new people and other pets
- They are medium sized dogs that measure around 22 to 24 inches in height and their average weight lies between 22 to 30 kgs.
Border Collie Husky Mix
- Border Collie husky is an excellent medium sized dog. This mixed breed results from a cross made between Border Collie and Siberian Husky.
- You can surely expect them to be your forever companion and guard dog. Weighing around 15 to 20 kgs they have an average life expectancy of 12 to 14 years. collie husky’s height measures 18 to 20 inches.
- You can buy them at a cost lying between $600 to $1000.
Border Collie Blue Heeler Mix
- Being a mixed dog, it inherits character from both Collie and Blue Heeler. Both dogs are energetic and smart, which makes this mixed cross breed also a courageous dog.
- White and black combination is their basic coat colour. This dog is very active and takes frequent actions when it feels anything abnormal.
- It is an ideal match for those looking for a fierce and guard dog to watch after a large piece of land.
Read Also: Bloodhound- Know Top 5 Facts About Them
Border Collie Puppy
- Border Collie puppies are always playful. They just love to share a company with humans and other pets. Their coat size and color makes them very adorable.
- Border Collie Puppy have a white mask on their face which adds to their cuteness. They fully grow up to their adult size by 18 to 20 months.
Border Collie Price for Puppies
- However, most owners are worried, thus a purebred Border Collie Puppies will set you back between $600 and $1,200. It’s still not cheap.
- But it’s a fraction of the price of a show-quality Border collie puppies for sale. Just make sure you do your research on any breeder to rule out any potential issues with their facility or dogs.
Monthly Expenses Of Border Collie
- The lowest estimate for the expense of caring for a Collie is $125 per month. When you consider everything.
- it’s easy to see how those expenses may continue to soar. You actually should accept your pup to the vet for shots during the initial not many months.
Border Collie Adoption
- Adopting a Highland Collies costs roughly $300 to cover the costs of care for the dog before adoption.
- Buying a Highland Collies from a breeder, on the other hand, can be unreasonably expensive. They normally cost between $700 and $2,000 depending on their breeding.
Border Collie Rescue Group
Many Collies require adoption, fostering, or both. We have not included all of the rescues that have occurred. Contact the national breed group or a local breed club to find a Collie rescue if you can’t find one listed for your region.
- They were bred to work and have an appearance that matches. This medium-sized herding dog, which may weigh up to 45 pounds, has a powerful, agile physique on a lean frame. Blitz, a Collie, reportedly saved the life of a 51-year-old woman in England. They are wonderful family pets.
Border Collie Dog -FAQ
How to Train a Border Collie?
Collies are generally fairly gentle dogs, although they are strongly motivated by the pursuit of a ball or other fast-moving object. They are typically simple to train and enjoy participating in obedience trials as well as other competitions like fly ball, agility, or sheep herding trials.
How Much Does a Border Collie Weight?
Collies are medium sized dogs, females are slightly smaller than males. Male carry an average weight of 15 to 20 kgs while a Female Collie weighs around 14 to 18 kgs.
How Much Are Border Collie Puppies?
The Priceline of Collie puppies is between $1000 to $2500. Cost of a Collie Puppy depends on size, colour, quality and most importantly the country you live in.