There are different types of Cur dogs one of them is Mountain Cur. They have black, tan, brindle, and brown coats. Cur is said to be derived from various European “Cur” breeds. In this article, we will give you all the information regarding this breed’s health and lifestyle.
Some Highlights To Know Them Better
|Scientific Name||Canis lupus familiaris|
|Coat Color||Black, Brindle, Black & brindle, Yellow|
|Personality||Protective, courageous, quiet, and tough|
|Sleep Hours||More than 4 Hours|
|Bite force||Between 250 PSI|
|Temperament||Protective, Quiet, Tough, Courageous|
|Breed Size||Height 18-26 inches for males, 16-24 inches for female|
- They should not leave with cats, even if they are trained. They have a high prey drive.
- Sometimes, they are called Mountain Kerr.
- Their precise history is unknown, however, they are said to have first emerged in the United States in the 1940s.
- They may reach speeds of up to 20 MPH, which is faster than the average canine speed of 20 mph.
Mountain Cur Size And Weight
- Male Mountain Cur weight 30 to 60 pounds while they stand 18 to 26 inches tall at the shoulder.
- Height 18-26 inches for males, 16-24 inches for females.
- You can find cur in any color like Black, Tan, Brown, Yellow, Brindle, and black and brindle. They could also have white tips on their coats.
- You need to know their temperament, their behavior, and their limitations. They are not aggressive.
- Sometimes, dogs act angrily because they do not get a good environment.
- They are a very high-energy breed and are also sensitive.
- They are great family dogs since they are loving with children.
- They don’t always get along, even if they were reared with other dogs.
- Curs are good security dogs since they can be reserved with strangers.
Does It Adapt To Apartment?
- They require a lot of space and activity. They are also incredibly bright and frequently unyielding.
- These dogs thrive with seasoned pet owners who can impose their leadership positions while being strict with the training of obedience.
Good For Beginners or Not?
- They are devoted to their owners. Also, they are fiercely loyal. They can be wary of strangers because of their great loyalty and protective attitude.
- When they get to know someone, though, they become just as amiable with them as they are with their family.
Care They Need
Food & Diet
- An Adult Size Cur (one who has reached the age of one human year) should be fed a medium-sized, high-energy kibble diet.
- Two or three cups of food each day will suffice to meet the Dog Nutrition and calorie requirements.
- These dogs are very energetic and should be exercised for at least 60–75 minutes each day.
- Hiking, jogging, and swimming are all excellent activities for keeping children active and happy.
- Brush your Cur’s teeth at least twice a week to remove tartar.
- And bacteria. Brushing should be done at least once a day.
- Trim their nails once a month, or as needed.
- If they spend a lot of time outside walking on concrete or other surfaces.
Mountain Cur Temperament
- They are one of the best hunting dogs in the world. They are calm and composed but if trained they can be very aggressive and fierce to strangers.
- But you also pay attention that they being hunting dogs, can hunt small pets like cats, rabbits, parrots, etc.
- Mountain Curs come with a pack of strength, courage, athletic skills, loyalty, and devotion. There are different Dog Breeds of Mountain available.
- Some of them are Mountain Cur Shepherd, Mountain Cur Boxer, Mountain Cur English Pointer, Mountain Cur Lab, Mountain Cur Anatolian, Mountain Cur Bulldog, etc.
Mountain Cur English Pointer
- This particular mixed breed results from a cross between a Curs and an English Pointer dog. Inheriting genes from both dogs.
- They need regular physical activities and at least 3 full meals a day. Being energetic and active dogs.
Black Mountain Cur
- Black Cur is an extremely strong and fierce dog. They are Black colored Curs with some white patches on the neck, face, and legs.
- Black Curs are very loyal and committed to their owners. The average lifespan of a Black Cur is about 10 to 14 years.
Brindle Mountain Cur
- Mountain Cur dog with a unique brindle color coat. Brindle mountain Curs are most loved for their unique brindle shades.
- Brindle is a brown color pattern along with dark stripes over it. Although this particular color pattern is common among Mountain dogs.
Mountain Cur Mix
- Mountain Cur Mix is a sort of crossbreed of Mountain with any other dog. Curs are generally crossed with medium to large dogs.
- These mixed breeds are commonly used for training, show, military, guard, and watchdog purposes.
Mountain Cur Pitbull Mix
- It is the outcome of the crossbreeding of Cur and the Pitbull.
- It is not only noted for its agility, but also for being people-friendly and eager to please its owner.
Boxer Mountain Cur Mix
- The Boxer and Cur mixed breed is an outcome of a cross made between a Cur and a boxer.
- On average, they measure 20 to 24 inches in height and around 25 to 35 kg in terms of their weight.
Mountain Cur Lab Mix
- Cur Lab mix is a crossbreed of Labrador with Mountain Cur.
- They live an average life of about 10 to 14 years and weigh between 20 to 30 kgs. When talking about their length, it is about 24 to 28 inches.
Pros and Cons
|Gentle with children and make excellent family pets||They should not live with cats|
|They are incredibly healthy creatures.||They crave activity and exercise all of the time|
|They can dwell on a farm, in a house, or on top of a mountain.||They need plenty of room to move about and be active.|
- They can generally triple their size! Mature Mountain Cur puppies and dogs can weight up to 60 pounds and stand 18 to 26 inches tall.
- These puppies should be fed high-quality puppy food.
- Puppies aged 8 to 12 weeks should consume four cups of food, while those aged three to six months should consume three cups.
Price/Mountain Cur Puppies for Sale
- Mountain Cur Price It can cost anywhere from $400 to $3,000 according to their size, quality, and mixed breed. Whereas adopting a Mountain Cur puppy from a rescue group costs you much less by paying a small donation.
- You should adopt a Mountain Cur if you are seeking one. Adoption is an excellent method because it is less expensive and provides a home for the homeless.
Mountain Cur Rescue
They are not the usual breed. So, it is tough to find recuses for them. You can look around. Here are some things to look at:
- Now that you know what to expect, you might want to plan ahead for future vet expenses, which for a Mountain Cur are approximately $750-2,000 a year.
- When you have a dog or cat you need to care about their health and needs.
They are a kind of working dog designed primarily for treeing and trailing small wildlife such as squirrels and raccoons. They are also used for hunting and baying large game like bear and wild boar, as well as being farm dogs. Read this blog and then decide whether this dog is good for you or not.
Mountain Cur -FAQ’s
What Is a Mountain Cur Dog?
This breed of dog originates in Kentucky and Tennessee’s mountains. They were an important part of the early settlers’ lives, assisting them in the development of farms in the mountainous, rural, and southern regions. They served as farm guardians, assisted in hunting, and even herded livestock.
What Does a Mountain Cur Dog Look Like?
They should have a high carriage and a low-set tail that is either medium in length or bobbed (naturally or unnaturally). If the dog has a rough coat, the tail should have good feathering as well.
How Big Do Mountain Cur Dogs Get?
The weight ranges from 30 to 60 pounds, while the height ranges from 18 to 26 inches for males and 16 to 24 inches for females.
What Breeds Make up a Mountain Cur?
There is no significant evidence that says that Curs are purebred or crossbreeds. Generally, they are considered to be purebred, whereas reports show that they originated in American wild mountains by a cross between two different breeds of mountain and athletic dogs.
Is a Mountain Cur a Good Family Dog?
There becomes no doubt that Mountain is a great find for families. This dog is very loyal and defensive at the same time, which makes it a nice match for big families with kids. They behave very kindly and sweetly with humans and other pets. A Cur is very sharp when it detects any hazardous situation.
How Big Does a Mountain Cur Get?
Curs are medium to large dogs. They have excellent athletic and muscular physiques. If you see their length, it is about 45 to 60 cm for males and 40 to 55 cm for females. Weight of a Mountain is approximately 18 to 28 kg.