Many canine owners ask, “Can dogs eat cherries?” The true answer is no. Some cherries are lovely for your dog. However, some of these tiny red fruits can be toxic! Besides cherries, edible items like chocolates, grapes, and onions are also a big No-No for your pet. Consuming the mentioned Dog Nutrition can upset your pet’s stomach or cause food poisoning. Thus, we will explain why cherries and dogs do not go hand-in-hand. We have also come up with a safer alternative to keep your pet’s stomach happy!
Can Dogs Eat Cherries?
- Many types of cherries include maraschino, dried cherries, rainier, Bing, and black. Maraschinos do not contain pits, but they are still harmful because their sugar content is high. Canned fruits are attractive but they are high in preservatives.
- They contain high sugar and loads of preservatives. These preservatives and sugars are responsible for obesity, cavities, diabetes, etc. Before feeding your dog a cherry, ensure you have removed the pit, stem, and leaves (if any). Now that’s a lot of effort! This effort is also not fruitful, and there are not many benefits for the dog’s health.
What Should I Do if My Dog Eats a Whole Cherry?
- Worst happens! So, there is nothing to worry about. If your pet has accidentally eaten a couple of cherries, do not panic! One or two cherries will not cause any harm because the cyanide content is high. There can be a mild reaction like diarrhea or upset stomach.
- You can also wait to see if there is any intestinal blockage, vomiting, constipation, etc. Intake of a couple of cherries can potentially affect small dogs. Do not overlook the large dogs as well.
- If your dog has ingested more or a handful of cherries, look for cyanide poisoning like red gums, troubled breathing, and dilated pupils. Ring the vet asap!
Health Benefits of Cherries for Dogs
Dogs have a different digestive pattern unlike humans. “Can Dogs Eat Cherries” Though cherries are harmful to dogs, there are some of the underlying health benefits which you must know for your pet.
- Improve Sleeping Pattern
- Improve Vision
- Combat Arthritis
- Good for Brain Health
- Help Fight Cancer
Read Also: Dogs Health Issues, Care & Wellness
Can Dogs Eat Cherry Ice-cream?
Can Dogs Eat Cherries /Cherry Ice creams are high in sugar content. They contain high sugar and lactose which is harmful for the health of your dog. The cherry ice cream available in the market is high in sugar.
To make the cherry ice-cream at home:
- Take low-fat plain yogurt
- Mashed a cup of cherries
- Mix the above ingredients in a jar
- Freeze it to make an ice cream treat for your pup.
Can Dogs Eat Cherries Without Seeds
Yes, there are safer alternatives to cherries. There are other fresh fruits that you can give to your pet without any worries. Blueberries are a great choice! You can also feed apples without seeds and pitted mangoes without any hesitation. Still, have doubts? It is best if you stick to the dog’s treats. They will excite your dog, and the pet will not mind relishing them.
Read Also: Different Dog Breeds, Black , Rare, Big, Small, Cutest
Symptoms, Causes and Treatments of Cherry/Cyanide Poisoning
If a dog consumes cherry seed accidentally it may collapse within a minute of time. So watch out for the below symptoms if you suspect your pup as well:
- Reddening of the mucous membrane
- Sudden increase in heart beat
The primary reason for such a fatal condition is the presence of cyanide in the cherry seeds. The cherry tree produces hydrogen cyanide as its protector. The following cause may also be responsible for the cherry/cyanide poisoning:
- The tree stores the cyanide in an inactive state and only activates when in contact with the predator.
- Herbivores are the major enemies of the trees. The cyanide secretion acts as a shield.
- When a dog ingest a cherry leaf or a seed, the cyanogenic glycoside mixes with the enzymes and triggers the toxic agents.
- The cells also cannot take sufficient oxygen to transform food into energy. It results in asphyxiation.
Is the vaccine necessary for dogs: Bordetella
The treatment involves the prevention of the bonding of cyanide at the earliest. Injecting Fe3 fluids along with nitrate and IV fluids. Such treatment brings back the hope of recovery for the pup!
Nitrate Inhalation : The antidotes of cyanide poisoning are: sodium nitrate and amyl nitrate. This is the first step a vet initiates in case a pup has ingested cherry seed or other toxic seeds.
Detoxification : Rhodanese and thiocyanate are the detoxification agents. They are mixed with IV fluids along with IV drips. But these agents are seldom available with vets.
Sodium Thiosulfate: You can give your pup the oral dose of sodium thiosulfate in case of such poisoning. It helps the cell in converting cyanide in a type of substance that will automatically get out with urination.
Why are Cherries No for Dogs?
- Can dogs eat cherries? Cherries are rotten for a dog’s health. The reason is the cyanide content in the stem, pit, and leaves. The holes are likely to cause intestinal damage. If your dog consumes cherries in large quantities, the cyanide in the cherries can start a toxic reaction in the dog’s body.
- One pit cannot be harmful as it does not have high cyanide content. Why take the risk? Moreover, the stem pit can also choke or block your canine’s intestine. Now let’s see if cherry flesh can be harmful to dogs. They are also dangerous because they contain antioxidants, vitamin A, vitamin C, and fiber. These ingredients cause stomach upset in dogs.
Can Dogs Eat Cherries With Pits?
Dogs can eat cherries with pits or can dogs eat cherries without pits The cherries without holes are beneficial for the canines to some extent. The cherries have inflammatory, vitamin and memory improvement elements. Those elements are good for a dog’s health.
Read Also: Can Dogs Eat Cantaloupe, Rind, Melon, Watermelon, Fruit, Skin
Dogs are the most lovable pets. When petting them, make sure you know the dos and don’ts of parenthood. One such rule is not feeding your fur baby with cherries! The reason is the high cyanide content of the fruit.
Do Dogs Like Cherries?
Dogs are fruit fanatics. They will not mind gobbling one if they encounter a handful of cherries! As long as you are removing the seeds and the skin of the fruit, it is completely safe for your dog to consume the fruit.
Can My Dog Have Cherries With Skin?
Cherries are harmful to dogs to some extent. So, it does matter whether you are feeding them the fruit with skin or peel. If you feed your pup a whole fruit without removing the seeds, it may lead to cyanide poisoning. Be a little careful while feeding them fruits like cherries. Remove the skin and the seeds.
What Fruit Is Bad for My Dog?
Cherries and their kinds are harmful to your dog. Not all kinds of cherries are harmful for the dog’s. Since most of the cherries have high sugar content, it is not safe to consume. An example of a healthy cherry is the tart cherry. They are excellent for the dog’s brain development.
Can Cherries Kill Dogs?
Cherries cause cyanide poisoning in dogs. If the poisoning is acute and there is negligence, it can kill dogs. The seeds of the cherry store hydrogen cyanide. These chemicals are toxins. Investing such toxins will result in fatal chemical reactions inside the body.